- Video playback is slow and jerky
- Loading is taking too long
- Minimum hardware spec
- Games play slowly – Can I make them play faster?
- Captions/sub titles – turning on and off
- Games help – How do I complete a game?
- The Play button does not work
- Which version of Flash do I need?
- Personality tests - Why can’t I see my saved results?
- The video seems pixellated
- How do I link to a particular episode/game/test?
- Where are the games? I can only see the video and personality tests
- Who made this?
- I have a Press/Business enquiry
- Why is Signs of Life for UK viewers only?
- I’m in the UK, but Signs of Life is still blocked to me
- How do I reset my test results?
- I have a question not covered by these FAQs
- Please check that your computer exceeds the minimum spec.
- To improve playback please close all other programs running on your computer.
- Downloading the latest Flash player may also improve things.
- This project has been designed for home use broadband connections of at least 512kbps. Many corporate or school networks run slower than this, so we’d recommend viewing it at home.
- If you are downloading files or using other web applications at the same time you will have to wait longer for each part of the experience to load. Please ensure that you close all other applications or downloads running on your computer.
PC - Pentium4, 1.5 GHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, minimum display resolution of 800 x 600.
Mac - On most Macs you’ll be able to watch the video and play the personality tests. However due to the way Mac handles Flash you won’t be able to play the games unless you have the following minimum spec Mac:
Macintosh – 2MHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.4, minimum display resolution of 800 x 600.
- Please check that your computer exceeds the minimum hardware specification.
- Ensure that you close all other applications running on your computer. Downloading the latest Flash player may also improve matters.
All the videos in Signs of Life have closed captions. To turn these on or off press the “s” key
Due to technical complexities we are unable to provide captions for the 7 personality tests. Hearing-impaired users may wish to skip these.
Click on the “?” button in the top right of the screen for game help.
Each game will auto complete if you do not move the cursor for 60 seconds.
This project can only be viewed in the UK. If your IP address does not appear to be registered in the UK then you will not be able to view this project.
Please see ‘why is this UK only’ for more details.
Adobe Flash Version 8 or later. Click here to download the latest version.
Your results are only stored if you use the same computer each time. To see your results you will need to view Signs of Life on the same browser each time and make sure your cookies are turned on.
The video has been compressed so you can watch it over the internet. In scenes with lots of movement this can mean the picture becomes blocky or pixellated.
Click on the “Scene select” link to the left of this page.
The games in Signs of Life take up a certain amount of processing power.
If your computer doesn’t have enough available processing power Signs of Life will automatically skip the current game and move you on to the next bit of video.
To help improve processor power please close down any applications running on your computer.
If this doesn’t work it could be that you have a machine below the minimum spec.
Signs of Life is a BBC Vision/Endemol co-production. For a full list of credits please click here.
To contact the production team with a business enquiry please click here.
Please contact us here
Broadband content is expensive for the BBC to host, we've therefore decided, with regret, to limit access to the UK in order to ensure best value for licence fee payers. In addition, there are broadcast rights restrictions which means that we can't make content intended for a UK audience available overseas.
We are currently in talks with a range of commercial providers who may choose to host Signs of Life in your particular territory in the future.
If you are based outside the UK and have a commercial/press interest in Signs of Life please email us here to request a demo.
Please accept our apologies for this error. In order to limit our offering to the UK we use a system called Geo-IP. This detects whether your server is in the UK or not. Certain web accelerators send information though proxy servers in the USA or Europe. This means it’s detected as non-UK traffic by our Geo-IP and blocked.
We suggest you turn off any web accelerators while accessing Signs of Life.
See also ‘Why is this project UK only'.
The Personality Tests are set to save only your first results. You can re-take a test as many times as you want but your later results won't overwrite your first, instinctive response to the test.
However, if you've mucked up a test and want to completely redo it you can do so by clicking the red link below.
Be warned though - clicking the link will delete all your test results and all the test results for anyone else playing Signs of Life on this computer.
In other words - by clicking below you will have to do all 7 tests again:
Please contact us here